IDebugClient::Connect* or DebugConnect

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:30 PM
First of all, thanks for writing and maintaining this extension. I really dig the dual-use of the binary as a python module and as a debugging extension. It's much better than a similar library I used to maintain (_PyDbgEng on github) which splits up the extension from the python module.

I've been using PyKd for a little while now, and have come across a situation where I need to script a debugger instance on another machine. Rather than rigging something to exchange python back and forth through the extension, does PyKd support IDebugClient::Connect*, or DebugConnect? And If it doesn't, are there any plans in the future to support it?

From looking at docs and grepping source, it doesn't appear so..and adding support for ConnectProcessServer might require some rearchitecting...

-Ali
Coordinator
Apr 23, 2014 at 6:05 AM
Remote debugging ( connecting to remote session or start own debug server ) is not supported now.

To run debug server you can try to use
dbgCommand( ".server tcp:port=12345")
I'm not sure it will work outside windbg

Our developing principle: implement things you need. So, if you need for DebugConnect we will added it,
Apr 23, 2014 at 10:53 PM
Cool. Let me know if I can help.
I maintain https://github.com/arizvisa/pydbgext which is a very similar project, so I'm pretty familiar with the IDebug* interfaces and windbg extensions. Unfortunately that library doesn't try to simplify the dbgeng api as well as the pykd library.. so I'm tired of maintaining it. :)

So the only other feature I'd like to request is the ability to write into the debuggee's address-space. Currently to read, I use .loadBytes(...) based on .loadArray(...) in dbgmem.cpp. If I am to implement support for writing, I would need to expose a .store{Bytes,Words,Dwords,QWords,SignBytes,etc} methods and then update pymod.cpp, correct?
Coordinator
Apr 25, 2014 at 7:57 AM
mail me: pykd.codeplex@hotmail.com or skype me: tarasc0
and we discuss it in more detail
Coordinator
Jun 18, 2014 at 6:52 AM
Check pykd 0.3.0.7 ( https://pykd.codeplex.com/releases/view/123609 ). I has new function connectRemote for remote debugging