Installation as a WinDBG extension with pykd bootstrapper
If you are going to run pykd in the windbg it is easiest way. All you need:
2. choose version ( x64 or x86 ) and copy pykd.dll to winext catalog of the windbg
3. in the windbg load the extension:
4. If you run pykd the first time you need to install its python package ( see also "Installation as a Python package with pip")
It is equal to running python script: pip install pykd
5. Now you can use pykd
6. You can upgrade pykd from the windbg by command:
Installation as a Python package with pip:
You can install pykd as a common python package with pip:
pip install pykd
Or upgrade existing version:
pip install pykd --upgrade
Pip documentation: https://pip.pypa.io
Pykd page on the PyPI: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pykd
If pip can not install pykd from PyPI
Sometimes pip can not install packages from PyPi, for example due proxy with NTLM authorization. In this situation you can download a python wheel ( file with wlh extension ) and install it with pip locally:
pip install pykd-0.3.1.1-cp27-none-win32.whl
Manual Installation guide:
0. choose x86 or x64 and download it
1. unpack archive to any catalog
2. if you have not a VS Studio 2012 installed, you should register msdia110.dll by the command
3. run windbg and load pykd:
4. to use pykd within python program add a path to pykd to the PYTHONPATH or via registry ( \SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\version\PythonPath )
Attention!!! Do not attempt to copy pykd.pyd of the 0.3.x version over 0.2.x . It will not work properly!
Python 3.5 support
If you are going to use pykd as python standalone module, you should get is by pip as described above
To run pykd and python 3.5 inside WinDBG is a bit difficult. pykd_boottrapper does not support python 3.5 yet ( it is under construction ). So you need to setup pykd and python 3.5 manually:
1. You need to download special version of the python ( look for distributive "Windows x86-64 embeddable zip file" )
2. Unpack zip file
3. Download pykd-0.3.1.3-py35-win-amd64.zip archive
4. Unpack to the catalog with embeddable python
5. Run windbg and load extension from this catalog.
Where is an automatic installer?
We still have a problem with the installer (see https://pykd.codeplex.com/workitem/13172 ) and can not upload fixed version now.
- eventHandler.onChangeSymbolPaths method - this callback is called after symbol paths has been changed.
- typedVar.castTo method - cast variable to the type and return a new typedVar instance